We are so excited to partner up with fellow B Corp, Bonraw for the launch of a brand spanking new product, the panela iced coffee kit.
In our coffee shops you can now treat yourself to a new panela iced latte which has been made using Bonraw’s organic panela sugar and North Star coffee. Then, online we will be selling a new bundle which includes the below products:
- Minor Figures oat barista milk
- 135g of organic bonraw panela
- 250g bag of the Docks
- 1 recipe card
That way, you can enjoy the very best iced coffee from the comfort of your home. Heck, why not invite your friends around for a cold one in the sun?
Who are Bonraw?
Bonraw is an innovative natural sugar company which not only aligns with our values on sourcing, but also like North Star deeply care about their impact on the world. Sourcing isn’t just a stamp of authenticity, it’s personal to them. It means a fair, traceable origin and they work with experts and artisans who know it all because they grow it all.
They have a mission to get people eating and ‘sweeting’ better. Vegan-friendly, versatile, and better for the environment, Bonraw has a range of natural sugar replacement products which include Silverbirch, Panela and Coconut Blossom. All of which are healthier and more beneficial to the body than standard refined sugars. They don’t just give you sweetness, they can also benefit your health, and be used to flavour both sweet and savoury creations, adding a depth to your food and drink that no other sugar can.
What is Bonraw Panela?
Panela is a decadent brown sugar that has a rich, artisan feel about it. A raw, dried and responsibly sourced cane juice from small-scale local farmers in Colombia, it is handmade using the same traditional method that’s been used for centuries – extracting and dehydrating raw sugar cane juice. It provides a light, sweet molasses taste with intense caramel undertones making it a perfect substitute for just about any type of sugar. Certified organic, it is one of the most natural, nutritious cane sugars available. Furthermore, as well as being a natural antioxidant, research suggests the nutritional properties may benefit the immune system, diabetes, prevent high blood pressure and strengthen bones.
What is the recipe for our new Panela Syrup?
- Pour 120g of Bonraw organic panela sugar into a pan. Add just enough water to make it liquid, similar to when you are making icing from icing sugar.
- Once it's stirred in well, add 1 heaped teaspoon of salt, or adapt to taste.
- Mix in more water (10ml at a time) until it matches the consistency of red wine.
- Now boil on a medium-high heat until the syrup loosely coats the back of a wooden spoon. You want this to be the thickness of Vimto. If it's like golden syrup, you've gone too far. Never fear, stir in small amounts of boiling water from the kettle until it loosens up.
- Let this cool and you're ready to go!
The purpose of this collaborative drink is to offer a more suitable option for those who enjoy a sweeter coffee. We have found that syrup can often complement the natural sweetness in coffee, but unfortunately the majority of syrups on the market aren’t of the best quality so we have avoided using them. Until now...
Shop the bundle online or visit our below coffee shop sites to give it a try:
North Star Coffee Shop
Unit 32 The Blvd, Leeds, LS10 1PZ
North Star Kiosk
Sovereign Street, Leeds, LS1 4BJ