Enjoy 20% off our merchandise! Simply tap gifts in our online shop to discover more.
£8.00 – £30.00 — or subscribe and save up to 10%See here for delivery details
Free UK shipping for orders over £20Reviews
We now have a single origin Peru decaf from various small estates in the region of Cajamarca. Wolfina is the name given to the basket used to collect cherries during the harvest – the C02 process leaves much of the coffees character intact so that there is good body and balance in the brew. This one has notes of brown sugar, fig and milk chocolate.
The Sparkling Water CO2 Process
This process was first discovered by a scientist called Kurt Zosel at the Max Planck Institute for Coal Research in 1967 as he was looking at new ways of separating mixtures of substances. In 1988, a German decaffeination company called CR3 developed this process for decaffeination whereby natural carbon dioxide (which comes from prehistoric underground lakes) is combined with water to create ‘sub-critical’ conditions which creates a highly solvent substance for caffeine in coffee. It is a gentle, natural and organically certified process and the good caffeine selectivity of the carbon dioxide guarantees a high retention level of other coffee components which contribute to taste and aroma.
The process is outlined below:
1. The green beans enter a ‘pre-treatment’ vessel where they are cleaned and moistened with water before being brought into contact with pressurised liquid carbon dioxide. When the green coffee beans absorb the water, they expand and the pores are opened resulting in the caffeine molecules becoming mobile.
2. After the water has been added, the beans are then brought into contact with the pressurised liquid carbon dioxide which combines with the water to essentially form sparkling water. The carbon dioxide circulates through the beans and acts like a magnet, drawing out the mobile caffeine molecules.
3. The sparkling water then enters an evaporator which precipitates the caffeine rich carbon dioxide out of the water. The now caffeine free water is pumped back into the vessel for a new cycle.
4. This cycle is repeated until the required residual caffeine level is reached. Once this has happened, the circulation of carbon dioxide is stopped and the green beans are discharged into a drier.
5. The decaffeinated coffee is then gently dried until it reaches its original moisture content, after which it is ready for roasting.
There are several benefits to using this process for decaffeination:
• The agent used for extracting the caffeine is entirely natural and the process can be classified as ‘organic’ due to the complete lack of chemicals used throughout. There is also no health risk by consuming coffee that has been decaffeinated in this way.
• The way the process works means the other compounds in the green bean are left untouched, meaning decaffeination has no effect on the flavour and aroma of the finished product. The carbon dioxide is very selective and doesn’t extract the carbohydrates and proteins in the green bean which contribute to flavour and smell.
• The cell structure of the green bean and the finished roasted bean is unchanged which is of great advantage when working with specialty coffees.
• The by-products are 100% natural and recyclable.
Local pickups take place from the Roastery on Tong Road, please note we are still operating social distancing so ring the doorbell when you arrive and we can pass your order through the door. Please note our shutter doors will be down for security and temperature reasons but we are always in Monday-Friday between 9 and 5pm. We are offering free shipping for orders above £20 🙂
Once you have placed your order, you will receive an email to confirm it is being processed and then another one to let you know when it has been dispatched. We are currently operating with a 2-3 working day lead time to process your order once you have placed it. If you have ordered a Nova Bakehouse cookie kit, this will be posted on the next available Tuesday along with any other items you have ordered.
Thanks in advance for your understanding, it is much appreciated in these challenging times!
It tastes just as good as the full caffeine coffee. Lovely smooth taste.
I bought this for a friend and she is really enjoying it!
The best decaf I’ve tasted, full bodied coffee taste. A satisfying, rich brew that doesn’t leave me feeling cheated 👌
Single Origin CO2 Decaf
This CO2 Decaf coffee was simply wonderful, great smooth and delicous taste, look forward to buying some more (much sooner than I had thought I would be!)