Please note orders are currently being dispatched within two working days of receiving them - free shipping over £20 :)
£8.00 – £30.00 — available on subscriptionSee here for delivery details
Free UK shipping for orders over £20Reviews
We now have a single origin Honduran decaf from El Caracol – the C02 process leaves much of the coffees character intact so that there is good body and balance in the brew. This one has notes of milk chocolate, biscuit and raisin.
The Sparkling Water CO2 Process
This process was first discovered by a scientist called Kurt Zosel at the Max Planck Institute for Coal Research in 1967 as he was looking at new ways of separating mixtures of substances. In 1988, a German decaffeination company called CR3 developed this process for decaffeination whereby natural carbon dioxide (which comes from prehistoric underground lakes) is combined with water to create ‘sub-critical’ conditions which creates a highly solvent substance for caffeine in coffee. It is a gentle, natural and organically certified process and the good caffeine selectivity of the carbon dioxide guarantees a high retention level of other coffee components which contribute to taste and aroma.
The process is outlined below:
1. The green beans enter a ‘pre-treatment’ vessel where they are cleaned and moistened with water before being brought into contact with pressurised liquid carbon dioxide. When the green coffee beans absorb the water, they expand and the pores are opened resulting in the caffeine molecules becoming mobile.
2. After the water has been added, the beans are then brought into contact with the pressurised liquid carbon dioxide which combines with the water to essentially form sparkling water. The carbon dioxide circulates through the beans and acts like a magnet, drawing out the mobile caffeine molecules.
3. The sparkling water then enters an evaporator which precipitates the caffeine rich carbon dioxide out of the water. The now caffeine free water is pumped back into the vessel for a new cycle.
4. This cycle is repeated until the required residual caffeine level is reached. Once this has happened, the circulation of carbon dioxide is stopped and the green beans are discharged into a drier.
5. The decaffeinated coffee is then gently dried until it reaches its original moisture content, after which it is ready for roasting.
There are several benefits to using this process for decaffeination:
• The agent used for extracting the caffeine is entirely natural and the process can be classified as ‘organic’ due to the complete lack of chemicals used throughout. There is also no health risk by consuming coffee that has been decaffeinated in this way.
• The way the process works means the other compounds in the green bean are left untouched, meaning decaffeination has no effect on the flavour and aroma of the finished product. The carbon dioxide is very selective and doesn’t extract the carbohydrates and proteins in the green bean which contribute to flavour and smell.
• The cell structure of the green bean and the finished roasted bean is unchanged which is of great advantage when working with specialty coffees.
• The by-products are 100% natural and recyclable.
We are usually able to dispatch orders received before midnight the next day – due to the current situation with Covid-19 please understand this may take up to 4-5 working days as we are now operating with a smaller team.
Local pickups take place from the Roastery on Tong Road, please note we are still operating social distancing so ring the doorbell when you arrive and we can pass your order through the door. We are offering free shipping for orders above £20 🙂
Once you have placed your order, you will receive an email to confirm it is being processed and then another one to let you know when it has been dispatched.
We use the Royal Mail First Class service to post orders and have been notified they are experiencing delays of up to 7-10 working days – we promise it will be worth the wait but appreciate your patience during these crazy times!
I bought this for the Aeropress as caffeinated coffee sends my boyfriend totally hyper :-) He said it was really delicious and he couldn't tell any difference taste-wise. Will definitely be buying it again.
I regularly drink decaff espresso using freshly ground beans but I never expect too much as I know that they are never going to be as good as a non decaff coffee. This coffee however seems to be the exception, it is absolutely lovely. Sweet and smooth with an exceptional crema, you could very easily imagine it was a normal caffeinated coffee. I will definitely be ordering some more.
The delicate mellowness of your decaf coffee is a treat for the tastebuds. I eagerly look forward to my morning coffee each day and find the time drinking so relaxing that I often indulge in an extra cup!! Drinking your delicious coffee has changed my taste and I now find myself indulging in a cup later in the day too.!
I've was wanting to limit my caffeine intake significantly, but didn't want to give up my morning ritual of making a cup and still needed a bit of a kick to get going. I grind these beans and a little bit of normal caffeinated from North Star too (I try random other beans from them, all are great). I've tried a number of decaf beans from different suppliers and these ones from North Star Roast are simply the best by far! Very tasty, nothing severely lacking from regular beans. Recommended!
Single Origin CO2 Decaf