notNeutral LINO coffee ware now available in a variety of colours
From: £7.20 – £27.00 / weekSee here for delivery details
Free UK shipping for orders over £20Reviews
Our decaffeinated offering rotates throughout the year to ensure we maximise freshness and bring you the best we possibly can – one thing remains consistent though, it will always have been developed with the sparkling water process as detailed below:
The Sparkling Water CO2 Process
This process was first discovered by a scientist called Kurt Zosel at the Max Planck Institute for Coal Research in 1967 as he was looking at new ways of separating mixtures of substances. In 1988, a German decaffeination company called CR3 developed this process for decaffeination whereby natural carbon dioxide (which comes from prehistoric underground lakes) is combined with water to create ‘sub-critical’ conditions which creates a highly solvent substance for caffeine in coffee. It is a gentle, natural and organically certified process and the good caffeine selectivity of the carbon dioxide guarantees a high retention level of other coffee components which contribute to taste and aroma.
The process is outlined below:
1. The green beans enter a ‘pre-treatment’ vessel where they are cleaned and moistened with water before being brought into contact with pressurised liquid carbon dioxide. When the green coffee beans absorb the water, they expand and the pores are opened resulting in the caffeine molecules becoming mobile.
2. After the water has been added, the beans are then brought into contact with the pressurised liquid carbon dioxide which combines with the water to essentially form sparkling water. The carbon dioxide circulates through the beans and acts like a magnet, drawing out the mobile caffeine molecules.
3. The sparkling water then enters an evaporator which precipitates the caffeine rich carbon dioxide out of the water. The now caffeine free water is pumped back into the vessel for a new cycle.
4. This cycle is repeated until the required residual caffeine level is reached. Once this has happened, the circulation of carbon dioxide is stopped and the green beans are discharged into a drier.
5. The decaffeinated coffee is then gently dried until it reaches its original moisture content, after which it is ready for roasting.
There are several benefits to using this process for decaffeination:
• The agent used for extracting the caffeine is entirely natural and the process can be classified as ‘organic’ due to the complete lack of chemicals used throughout. There is also no health risk by consuming coffee that has been decaffeinated in this way.
• The way the process works means the other compounds in the green bean are left untouched, meaning decaffeination has no effect on the flavour and aroma of the finished product. The carbon dioxide is very selective and doesn’t extract the carbohydrates and proteins in the green bean which contribute to flavour and smell.
• The cell structure of the green bean and the finished roasted bean is unchanged which is of great advantage when working with specialty coffees.
• The by-products are 100% natural and recyclable.
This subscription option is made for you if you love your coffee but don’t love the caffeine effects and never want to run out or have to think about ordering! Simply select your bag size and frequency upon check out (leaving any special instructions for the post man as to where to leave your coffee if you are out) and it is literally as simple as that!
I have signed up to a subscription with you, when will it be sent out?
Great news! Thanks so much we are excited to have you on board! Your order is now on our system and is usually dispatched between 1-3 working days of us having received it depending on how busy we are! We work so hard to get your order out to you as soon as we possibly can and it will be sent with the Royal Mail 1st Class service.
Are your packages letterbox friendly?
Not currently, we are working on it! There is no signature required for the coffee so if you are not going to be in to receive it, please just include a note for where you would like it leaving and we can include this in our shipping instructions. We know how annoying it is to have to go to the depot to pick up and are working to get a more letterbox friendly option together as soon as we can.
I need to change my address details..
Sure thing! Just drop us a line to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will sort that for you 🙂
Local pickups take place from the Roastery on Tong Road. Please note our shutter doors will be down for security and temperature reasons but we are always in Monday-Friday between 9 and 5pm – just ring the doorbell on arrival. We are offering free shipping for orders above £20 🙂
Once you have placed your order, you will receive an email to confirm it is being processed and then another one to let you know when it has been dispatched. We are currently operating with a 2-3 working day lead time to process your order once you have placed it. If you have ordered a Nova Bakehouse cookie kit, this will be posted on the next available Tuesday along with any other items you have ordered.
We work directly with growers we know and trust to source specialty grade coffee from farms that promote agroforestry techniques and social responsibility to not just sustain, but to improve how things work.Find out more